2012 DoD Reserve Family Readiness Award Ceremony
Acting Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense (Reserve Affairs), Mr. Richard O. Wightman, Jr. will host the 2012 Department of Defense Reserve Family Readiness Awards presentation at 10:00 a.m. EST, Friday, March 1, 2013, at the Pentagon Hall of Heroes.
The Reserve Family Readiness Award recognizes one National Guard and Reserve unit from each of the seven Reserve components and the winners are those units with the best programs to support their military families. Representatives from each of the winning units will attend the ceremony and receive a commemorative plaque and framed certificate from Mr. Wightman. Each unit will also receive a certificate and cash award from the Military Officers Association of America. The cash award is to be used to further enhance the unit's family support programs.
This year's winners are:
- Army National Guard - 842nd Engineer Company, Spearfish, SD
- Unit Commander: CPT Allen Godsell
- U.S. Army Reserve-Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 79th Sustainment Support Command, Los Alamitos, CA
- Unit Commander: MAJ Jakara Cruz-Osorio
- U.S. Marine Corps Forces Reserve - 2d Battalion, 23d Marines, 4th Marine Division, Pasadena, CA
- Unit Commander: LtCol Richard J. Crevier
- U.S. Navy Reserve - Navy Operational Support Center Tucson, Tucson, AZ
- Unit Commander: CDR Ross Orvik
- Air National Guard - 147th Reconnaissance Wing, Houston, TX
- Unit Commander: Lt Col Mark Welch
- U.S. Air Force Reserve - 439th Airlift Wing, Westover Air Reserve Base, Chicopee, MA
- Unit Commander: Lt Col Patrick L. Dufraine
- U.S. Coast Guard Reserve - Port Security Unit 305, Fort Eustis, VA
- Unit Commander: CDR Michael J. Ferullo
The DoD Reserve Family Readiness Awards Program was established in 2000 to recognize the top unit Family Readiness program in each of the Reserve components. Family readiness programs are particularly important as the United States relies on significant numbers of reservists to serve in critical locations worldwide. Family readiness has proven to be a key component of mission readiness. Robust Family Readiness Programs have enhanced the deployability of Guard and Reserve units and they represent a vital link in the support networks for our reserve families. Journalists without a Pentagon building pass will be picked up at the River Entrance only. Plan to arrive no later than 45 minutes prior to the event; have proof of affiliation and two forms of photo identification. Please call (703) 697-5131 for escort into the building.