The information requested is necessary to determine your cash salary elements and estimate your marginal Federal tax bracket. No identifying data is requested nor retained by this Website. Your browser may maintain a memory of the income information you viewed during your session. By closing your browser, you will clear its memory.
- The purpose of this RIRP Calculator Users Guide is to assist you in determining if you may be eligible to receive Reserve Income Replacement. The information used in this calculator corresponds with the information required to complete the application form (DD Form 2919, Reserve Income Replacement Program (RIRP) Eligibility Verification) in order to receive Income Replacement Payments. Complete reading the RIRP Calculator instructions before launching the calculator.
Reserve Income Replacement Eligibility:
- As a member of a Reserve Component serving on involuntary active duty you may be eligible for RIRP payments if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Completed 18 continuous months of service on active duty under involuntary orders;
- Completed 24 cumulative months of involuntary active duty during the previous 60 months beginning on after 1 Aug 01;
- Serving on involuntary active duty for a period of 180 days or more which commenced within six months following your separation from a previous period of involuntary active duty for a period of 180 days or more; and:
- Your average monthly Civilian Earned Income exceeds your Total Monthly Military Compensation by greater than $ 50.00
- Your must be on involuntary active duty for the entire month following completion of the requisite eligibility service requirement in order to receive payment. Entitlement to RIRP payments is based on each full calendar month you meet the eligibility criteria.
Involuntary Active Duty:
An order to duty under section 12301(a), 12301(g), 12302, or 12304, of title 10, U.S.C., without the consent of the member, or an order to full-time National Guard duty under section 502(f)(1) of title 32, U.S.C., or an order to active duty under section 712 of title 14, U.S.C. for the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve personnel.
RIRP Steps to Calculate Estimated Monthly Active Duty Income Differential and Complete DD Form 2919 to Apply for RIRP Payments
Average Monthly Civilian Earned Income (Corresponds with Block 10 of DD Form 2919)
Determine your Average Monthly Civilian Earned Income and enter the value into the Average Monthly Civilian Earned Income box in Step I.
Average Monthly Civilian Income:
- Total earned income for the 12 full months immediately preceding mobilization, divided by 12, or
- The earned income for the member as reported on the most recent federal income tax filing that covers 12 months prior to mobilization divided by12.
- Wages, salaries, tips, professional fees, other compensation received for personal services and employee compensation that is included in gross income for the taxable year, plus any net earnings from self-employment for the taxable year. Earned income includes taxable compensation received by members of the Reserve components (to include the National Guard) for the performance of Reserve duties. Employee pay is earned income if it is taxable. Nontaxable employee pay, such as certain dependent care benefits and adoption benefits, is not earned income.
- Generally reflected in box1 of an individual’s W-2 form and is reported on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) form 1040, lines 7, 12, and 18.
- In the case of a member who files Federal income tax jointly with a spouse, record only the earned income and exemption information attributable to the member.
Determine Monthly Regular Military Compensation (RMC) ( Corresponds with Blocks 11.a, through 11.h of DD Form 2919)
Click on the Monthly Regular Military Compensation (RMC) link to calculate your RMC. At the RMC Calculator window enter the following:
- Pay Grade: Drop down the menu. Select your current military pay grade.
- Years of Service: Drop down the menu. Select your years of military service for pay purposes (Calculate the number of years from the “pay date” (Pay Entry Basic Date) shown on the member’s leave and earning statement to the current date)). This will be used to estimate your basic pay.
- Living OCONUS or Not Receiving BAH: Check this box if:
- Your primary residence is outside of the United States (OCONUS) at the time you were ordered to active duty. (Overseas Housing Allowances (OHA) should be included in monthly pays.) or,
- You are not eligible to receive BAH.
- If either of the above instances is true, your calculation will proceed directly to Family Size.
- Zip Code for Primary Residence: If you live in the United States (CONUS) at the time you were ordered to active duty, enter the Zip Code of your primary residence.
- Military Member Married to a Senior Military Member Who Is on Active Duty for Greater than 30 Days:
- Drop down the menu. Select the appropriate answer for your situation. If the answer is “Yes”, the calculation will include BAH without dependents.
- Family Size: Drop down the menu. Select the number corresponding to the number of exemptions claimed on your Federal Income Tax return.
- Estimated Itemized Deductions: Enter the dollar amount of the itemized deductions claimed on line 40 of your most recent Federal Income Tax return Form 1040, or enter 0 and the calculator will compute the standard deduction.
- Calculate: Click the calculate button and:
- The RMC calculator will automatically calculate the Monthly Regular Military Compensation
- Return you to the Reserve Income Replacement Calculator window and display the RMC dollar amount in Step II of RIRP Calculator.
Total Other Monthly Pays (Corresponds with Blocks 12.a through 12.l of DD Form 2919)
Enter the approximate total dollar amount of all other monthly special pays, incentive pays and allowances that are paid on a monthly basis that you receive or anticipate receiving on the first month you become entitled to receive Reserve Income Differential. Examples of Other Monthly Pays are:
- Foreign Language Proficiency pay, Overseas Housing Allowance.
- Special pays such as imminent danger pay, should also be included in the Total Other Monthly Pays.
- Bonuses paid in lump sum or in anniversary installments, such as enlistments, re-enlistment and affiliation bonuses, should not be included.
- Per Diem, to include meals and incidental expenses should not be included.
The actual amount of Other Monthly Pays will be completed and verified by the servicing personnel office if a member qualifies for Reserve Income Replacement.
Total Monthly Military Compensation (TMMC) (Corresponds with Block 13 of DD Form 2919)
An amount computed on a monthly basis of the regular military compensation and the amount of "Other Special Pays".
- The calculator will automatically compute and display the dollar amount of the Total Monthly Military Compensation in Step IV.
Estimated Monthly Active Duty Income Differential (Corresponds with Block 14 of DD Form 2919)
Only a Differential between your average monthly civilian earned income and your total monthly military compensation greater than $0.00 will be displayed. Differentials equal to or less than $0.00 will be displayed as $0.
Click the calculate button.
- The calculator will compute and display the dollar amount of the Estimated Monthly Active Duty Income Differential in Step V.
- Only a Differential between your average monthly civilian earned income and your total monthly military compensation greater than $50.00 will be displayed. Differentials equal to or less than $50.00 will be displayed as $0.
- If the Monthly Active Duty Income Differential is greater than $50.00, you may be entitled to reserve income replacement. Amounts less that, or equal to $ 50.00 are not eligible for RIRP.
Notwithstanding the difference in income, the monthly payment shall not exceed $3,000 per month.
Your Next Step
If the calculator has indicated that you have an Active Duty Income Differential greater than $ 50.00, and you meet the service criteria (see Reserve Income Replacement Eligibility above) and you wish to apply for RIRP payments, you must:
Click Here to Proceed
to the Calculator